Friday, July 28, 2006

The 10 Weirdest Food

Caught this show on Discovery Travel and Living called World's Best. Last night's show was about the 10 weirdest food in the world. I saw a flash of our balut at the beginning, so I decided to watch just to see how high it ranked. The final list:

10. Pan-fried dung beetle (and we all know what they feast on...)*
9. Rattlesnake steak (deep-fried)
8. Chocolate-covered scorpion (from England, would you believe?)*
7. Frog's leg porridge (even plain fried frog's legs I can't eat--sidebar: When I was little, we were served frog's legs and my bros told me that if I ate them, I'd feel them jumping in my stomach! I've never been able to touch them since.)
6. Rotten shark (there's supposedly an overwhelming smell of urine)
5. Grasshoppers (they even come in spring rolls!)*
4. Rocky Mountain Oysters (a.k.a. bull's testicles)
3. Deer Penis Soup (some people eat this instead of taking the magic blue pill...)
2. Red and white worms (the kind you see in your tequila bottle)
1. Balut!

*There were experts (e.g., nutritionists) on the show who just praised all the insects because of their high protein, low fat content.

Yes, the mighty balut made it to number one. I've actually witnessed a foreigner cry as she tried to eat one. Maybe balut was just part of my experience growing up (used to eat it a lot when I was a kid, blissfully unaware of what it was), but I don't get what all the fuss is about--people eat fully grown ducks after all. Personally, deer penis soup would've been at the top of my list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home