Wednesday, April 19, 2006

"Damn, baby, all I need is just a li'l bit..."

Mumsy and I stopped by Paseo de Sta. Rosa on our way home from Tagaytay. Were walking towards Pancake House when we spotted Poquito Mas (which, I guess means "a little bit more"). We figured we might as well eat in a place that we couldn't find in Manila. (Note: Found out recently that Poquito Mas has a branch in Alabang.)

The Splatino (Spanish, Latin, Filipino) restaurant closely resembles the kind of house (or, at least one of 'em!) that I would someday like to have. It's all decked out in Mediterranean style--just when I thought I could live with something minimalist, I was suddenly reminded of how much I love those colorful Spanish tiles and wrought-iron railings. Oh well.

There were so many things that seemed yummy on the menu, and the prices were pretty reasonable--not cheap, but since I was dining with mumsy, it was no object! (Shame on working girl me.) We ordered the blue bacon salad and the starter sampler. Portion-wise, they were perfect for the two of us, with enough room left over for dessert. More on that later.

The starter sampler was a platter full of their appetizers: onion rings, fried Mexican wonton-type things (sorry, didn't get the exact name), and buffalo wings. It comes with three sauces: what seemed like a subtle mayonnaise for the onion rings, salsa for the wontons, and something that tasted a lot like blue cheese for the buffalo wings. The onion rings weren't as crunchy as I'd hoped, but tasty nonetheless. The Mexican wontons were stuffed with ground beef and were good enough. I'm a sucker for buffalo wings--these were perfectly spicy, although it could've had a tad less sauce.

The blue bacon salad was different from the salads that I've been having lately. It had the usual greens, tender bacon (not the crunchy bottled version!), and onion rings! More accurately, onion strips cooked like onion rings--coated in batter and fried--and sprinkled on top of the salad. There was just enough blue cheese dressing to lightly coat--not overwhelm--the greens. That salad gets an A in my book!

Afterwards, I checked out their cake display. They had a bunch of tempting tiny cakes (if they had pies, "cutie pie" would've been so accurate!)--each good enough for one. Mumsy got one of the bestsellers, the chocolate cheesecake. Didn't get to try it though. I had the blueberry cheesecake. Pretty normal, but it definitely hit the spot!

And the best part of the evening? The conversation.

The next time I'm in the area, I'll be sure to drag whoever I'm with to this resto. I'm actually raring to go to Alabang just so I could sample the other stuff on their menu.

3 Comments:

Blogger mignac said...

I tried the Sta Rosa branch before I tried the Alabang branch. Somehow, the Sta Rosa branch impressed, and the Alabang branch failed to. Alabang branch's claim to fame? Dun nag shooting for the Juday - Piolo movie, "Don't Give Up On Us." :)

April 20, 2006 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Crap, that just totally ruined it for me. Haha.

April 26, 2006 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Hey! Thanks a lot!:)

August 14, 2006 at 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home