Monday, March 06, 2006

Canteen Food, the Italian Way

Finally got to check out Amici di Don Bosco near Walmart (a.k.a. Walter Mart. hehe) yesterday. Had a shoot by the riles along Pasong Tamo so we had the perfect excuse to have lunch at Amici. Went with Issa, Miguel, Joel (Miguel's assistant), and our driver Mang Jayson.

Amici di Don Bosco (I'm guessing it means "Friends of Don Bosco") is a canteen-type place run by Italian priests. I half-expected old men in full monk attire to be bustling about, but what we got were men and women in Amici di Don Bosco t-shirts behind five different counters (much like in typical canteens): one each for pizza, pasta, normal canteen food, gelato, and coffee.

Miguel treated us to a pizza, since, as he said, sinisilawan namin siya ng salapi. I forgot what it was called, but it had pepperoni and olives on it. It was on what they called a thin crust, but not as thin as in the ordinary pizza chains. I would've liked more pepperoni (carnivore in da house), but still, it was pretty good.

We also had two pastas: spinach canneloni and montanara (I think). I loved the canneloni because of two things: it had my favorite veggie and it was just swimming in cream. Mmmm. I normally don't eat the edge of my pizza crust, but this time I used it to wipe the canneloni plate clean. Miguel was raving about the other pasta, which had red sauce and Italian sausage on what looked like rotini.

Afterwards, Miguel and Issa bought five scoops of gelato. *sigh* I shall return!

Food: 3.5 out of 5
Price: 4 out of 5. Sulit 'coz there were five of us, and our bill was all of about P600! But if there were just two people sharing a pizza and one pasta dish (but this would be super filling though), it would probably cost about P200 each.
Ambience: 3 out of 5. It's nice that it isn't pretentious or anything. It's funny how there are reminders stuck to the tables saying how Lent is a time for fasting, abstinence, and "acts of mercy."
Service: 3.5 out of 5. They were efficient enough. But Miguel said something like, "For a place run by priests, they're not very cheerful."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home