Sunday, January 20, 2008

Chocolate Oblivion and More at Swanky GB5


Lots of people are thrilled that Baba Ibazeta-Benedicto has opened her Classic Confections flagship store at swanky new Greenbelt 5. I got to try her Nono's Chocolate Oblivion some months ago, when Yummy Magazine was working on their dessert special. People were raving about this cake, although honestly, it's not a personal favorite. Let's chalk it up to personal preference--I think I like my cakes a tad sweeter and with much less stuff to distract from the chocolate. But hey, this baby wasn't voted a Yummy favorite and one of the top ten desserts in Manila (by Food Magazine) for nothin' so it's worth checking out.

The famous Chocolate Oblivion (P145 for an individual serving, P895 for a regular cake) has two layers of chocolate cake, dark chocolate cream filling, walnut praline bits, and cocoa powder. It's a nice play of different textures--the chocolate cream is smooth, the praline bits crunchy, and the layer of cocoa powder coats your tongue.


I just got stuff for takeout since H and I had just had stuffed ourselves at dinner and were raring to head home to sleep. (Kain-tulog! This is the life! Haha.) Besides, there weren't any free tables--Classic Confections has quite a following. I decided to get me a Calamansi Bar--needed something to wipe out the after-dinner umay, and since I love a good Lemon Square, this treat appealed to me. It was OK--I wished there were a thicker layer of the calamansi topping though. If I could find a Lemon Square or Calamansi Bar with 1/4 crust and 3/4 lemon/calamansi topping, I'd be in heaven!

Calamansi Bar (P180/doz, P345/2 doz): shortbread crust topped with calamansi filling and dusted with powdered sugar

They had a lot of other yummy-looking treats and I wished I could've tried all of them. (For blogging purposes. I swear.) There was a banana cream pie, a rum cake, a lemon torte (ooh!), a mocha sansrival. In the Yummy interview, Baba said she was particularly proud of her cheesecake, so that should be interesting. She's also got cookies, and I'm eager to get me some of her almond crunch (toffee candy made with whole roasted almonds and semi-sweet chocolate). I'm guessing they taste like those Almod Rocha-type bits that I buy from Christmas bazaars. A lot of the stuff comes in pretty packaging, too, so they would make great gifts.

GB5 looks like another eating destination, albeit a sosy one, what with all the newly opened restos. No matter where you choose to have lunch or dinner, you're most likely going to end up at Classic Confections for a sugar rush to cap the meal.

Classic Confections, 2/F Greenbelt 5, Makati City; tel. (02) 746-2773, 490-7896; mobile 0917-5245892; URL classicconfections.net

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home