Monday, August 04, 2008

Full Moon

For bi-anniv this year, H surprised me by taking me to Bulan, a converted Filipino-colonial mansion, tucked away in Little Baguio. The resto was relatively empty when we were there, save for a table with owner Marlene Aguilar and friends. As such, the servers were incredibly attentive, something H and I really appreciate whenever we dine out.



Bulan (which means "moon" in...another Pinoy dialect, not quite sure which, sorry) serves European/continental cuisine amid a setting of ornate wood furniture and impressive art. We decided on a set meal (P1,145): Mushroom Soup, Roma, and homemade gelato for dessert. We also ordered a pasta dish called Crystal's Flambe (P450).

The waiter asked if we would like to split the soup--very considerate of him, I thought. And I was delighted when they served our soup bowls:



Both of us got this little bowl with this pretty, puffed-up pastry. So charming! The soup had five different mushrooms blended in cream. Because of this, the waiter asked if we would like to change our pasta dish; the chef was concerned that we would have mushroom overload, but I stood by my choice.

The Roma was grilled orange-flavored filet mignon in marsala sauce, and served with zucchini and tomatoes in olive oil. While it was satisfactory, I wouldn't go so far as to agreeing that it was indeed the Best Steak out there (as proclaimed by a sign outside the resto). Good, but not the best I've ever had (Gulliver's comes to mind).



The pasta dish was linguini with three kinds of mushrooms blended with blue cheese, sprinkled with herbs, and with sour cream. Ordinarily, I am a big fan of the white sauce, but the chef was right--there can be too much of a good thing. Which is not to say that I didn't enjoy this dish. I just feel that I would have appreciated it even more had I not had the mushroom soup beforehand.



H decided to let me have the dessert. We couldn't quite figure out if the waiter was saying "Caribbean Mocha" or "Arabian Mocha," but it's one of those.



It's mocha ice cream with a heavy dose of cinnamon. Interesting and quite tasty, something worth trying if you're feeling a tad adventurous.

Want to impress your honey? Bulan may be a good place to take her--it's a little hard to find, so you'll give off that vibe that you're in the know when it comes to restos. Its hidden location alone can be enough to make your date a bit more intimate.


Bulan is located at #3 Gen. de Jesus St. (near J. Abad Santos St.), Little Baguio, San Juan; tel. (02) 725-8496

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Bulan means "moon" or "month" in bisaya.

August 6, 2008 at 2:53 AM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Also in Bicolano, Ilocano, and Kapampangan apparently.:) Thanks!

August 6, 2008 at 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's an area in San Juan called Little Baguio?

August 11, 2008 at 2:36 AM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Yup! Where the main store of Jo-Liza is.

August 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Ruy said...

Wow, thanks for the tip! I am sooo glad to learn of this place and am already scheming when to schedule a visit.
New discoveries and food adventures are exciting!

August 27, 2008 at 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I was doing research about Bulan when I came across your blog. I like your honest and entertaining writing style. =)

I'd like to ask for your permission... may I add a link on my website (currently under construction) pointing to your blog, so that others may read your interesting reviews as well?

Thanks!

October 28, 2008 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Tisha said...

Hey Alvin, thanks a lot! And sure, add away!:)

January 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home