Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Taste of India

Went to an event a couple of months back wherein the Indian-inspired setup was called "A Taj of India." Didn't wanna plagiarize so...

Anyway, for no reason, the family decided to get together (sans Carlos, who's livin' it up in Boston), and brother Iggy chose Prince of Jaipur* in Eastwood. So yeah, imagine my parents in a resto with purple walls, fuchsia seats (which I, wearing a fuchsia top, disappeared into), and a sound system blaring DMX's Party Up. Sitting by the window, we had an excellent view of those bright-colored dudes pretending to be statues and scaring the crap out of passers-by.

H and I shared a couple of vegetable samosas** (P120 for two pieces, if I'm not mistaken). Their version was different from samosas I've tried in the past, most recently in cooking class (ooh, haven't posted about that)--the resto's seemed baked, with a crust that resembled that of empanaditas, and the potato stuffing was chopped into tiny cubes. I personally prefer my samosas fried and with a somewhat mashed potato stuffing.

We then moved on to our bowl of Chicken Vindaloo (about P300 I think...although it seems that the branch at the Fort sells it at a higher price). It's similar to chicken curry, served with potatoes and spicy gravy. The bowl may look tiny but the chicken pieces are boneless so you get lots of meat. Be warned though--if you're not into spicy, this ain't the dish for you. Instead of rice, we had us some plain naan,*** and an additional order of garlic and cheese naan (yum!), about P100 or so.

We also had a taste of my parents' lamb dish. I didn't get the name, but I heard my parents talking to the waiter and saying that they wanted "lamb na parang kaldereta." Haha. I am not a big lamb fan, there's something about the texture that I don't like, but the sauce was able to mask that a bit. We had it with some plain chapati, another type of roti (bread) which was thinner than the naan.

Iggy and his wife, Rita, shared a bowl of Murgh Mahkani or butter chicken. Pretty good. I noticed that all the dishes were swimming in lots of sauce--the Margh Mahkani had one of butter, tomatoes, and spices.

(Sorry, no pics! I was busy taking pics of my darling five-month-old nephew, who preferred to munch on his own hand.)

Being a big fan of Indian food, I quite liked Prince of Jaipur. But it really ain't for people who don't like spicy dishes--I actually saw beads of sweat forming on the men's foreheads while we were eating!

*Jaipur is the capital of Rajasthan state, India. Built of pink stucco in imitation of sandstone, it's also popularly known as the Pink City. It was founded in 1728 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II.

**Normally a triangular dumpling with a potato, onion, and pea stuffing.

***Flat bread normally made of wheat, cooked in a tandoor (cylindrical clay oven) or cast-iron frying pan. Great for dipping! We used it to polish off our Vindaloo sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home