Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Krispy Kreme Experience

Get your waistlines ready...Krispy Kreme is in Manila!


I never really understood what all the fuss was about. I tried a Krispy Kreme doughnut in the US before and didn't find it particularly special. Yesterday, I found myself in the first Philippine Krispy Kreme store, where one of the crew members lovingly handed me an original glazed doughnut, fresh from the conveyor belt. It was still very warm, and the sugar enveloping it glistened under the fluorescents. I bit into it and...it was one of the few times that I actually felt something just mmmelt in my mouth!

Hello, fat ass! The Krispy Kreme "Doughnut Theater" features a conveyor belt of glistening glazed doughnuts.


Our first taste of the Original Glazed. Nothing beats the classics!

We were given little Krispy Kreme hats and taken on a tour of the kitchen, where all the magic happens. Inside, there was Anson (sure hope I got his name right), a trainer from the US. He was goofily teaching us tourists how to expertly dip the doughnuts into chocolate and candy sprinkles. So there I was in my gloves and hat, looking like (as Coni pointed out) a 1960s stewardess. I learned that I had to perfectly line my fingers around the perimeter of the doughnut; otherwise, the chocolate won't be even. Then after dipping, I had to lift it off the churning chocolate and let the excess chocolate drip off. Then I had to turn it inwards, outwards, then up, I guess to keep the chocolate from running down the sides. "So it's all in the wrist," I said to Anson. "Exactly!" he exclaimed. Looking on was Dan from North Carolina, who told me that they've been here for about a week, and that the hospitality has just been fabulous.

Learning the fine art of dipping with funny guy, Anson.

Back in the store, the crew was constantly asking what we wanted--OMG, unlimited doughnuts! You have to check your diet and your fitness conscience at the door because there's no room for either of them in Doughnut Heaven. I was pretty satisfied with my Original Glazed, but we heard good things about the New York Cheesecake. Coni sampled one and, I must say, it was quite good. It's this whole doughnut with a bit of cream and some crumbly bits of crust on top; inside it's got this mild-tasting cream cheese. If the sweetness of a glazed doughnut overwhelms you, this might be the one for you.

Ahh, those famous boxes, often seen in the hands of balikbayans at the airport.

Before leaving, we were given two boxes of doughnuts each! One had all original glazed, the other had their other flavors (they have about 13 in all--lemon-filled, which was also pretty good; strawberry-filled with powdered sugar on top; the classic chocolate topped; the interesting sour cream; the evil evil glazed chocolate...). I brought a few home more than 12 hours later, not expecting them to retain their consistency. My dad had one as a midnight snack; he popped the original glazed one into the microwave. After biting into it, he remarked, "Natutunaw pala 'to?"

Pick a flavor, any flavor.

I'm sure the press kit has got much better photos, but unfortunately, I don't have it on me now. Will upload them soon. Krispy Kreme is located along Bonifacio High Street at the Fort. Original Glazed is P30; flavored ones are P38 each. You save if you buy 'em by the dozen. It opens at 8:30 am on November 30--and if you're the first customer, you get a year's supply of doughnuts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home