Thursday, November 23, 2006

Prom Night

Dragged H along to a Romance Revival Ball at Makati Shang, convincing him by saying that, at the very least, it was a free meal. Haha. Mabuhay ang mga PG!

The good thing about having a table for two right in the center of the room was that we were served first! Things started off with Terrine* of Wild Mushrooms, Bitter Greens, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Reduction. The terrine had the consistency of hard jell-o; the greens came in a ring of this delicious hard cheese. (Being the cheese whore that I am, I absolutely loved it!)

Next was the soup: Artichoke Cream with Julienne Prosciutto, Pimiento Grissini. This dinner was 2-of-2 so far! Broth soups are healthier, I know, but I can never resist a good creamy soup. And this one had bits of ham! Mmmmm. The soup had a bit of zing to it, like it had some pimiento mixed in. The pimiento grissini was just a fancy breadstick.

The main course, thankfully, was fish, so I could kid myself into thinking that it was healthy: Basil Spiced Seabass with White Truffle Risotto, Pan Seared Garlic Eggplant, Compote of Oven Dried Tomatoes (what is it with this menu and its missing hyphens?). The fish was tender and the risotto was delightful, although it was really heavy and I couldn't finish the dish. I did try to spoon all the white truffle sauce off the plate though.


For dessert, we had a really fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cake wrapped in White Chocolate and with Strawberry Coulis. There was also a bit of whipped cream on the side and some fresh strawberries. Mmmm.


There were also some special pralines on a little plate. I liked the dark chocolate ones; the other kind took some getting used to--it had some sort of coffee filling, and since I don't really like coffee, the first bite was a bit surprising.

We were served white and red wine, as well as champagne. And, yay, I didn't get an allergy attack that night!

*According to Wikipedia, a terrine is an earthenware cooking dish with a tightly fitting lid; it also refers to food prepared in the container, mainly brawn and pates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home